Friday, September 20, 2013

Blurred Lines and Rape.

So I was on tumblr the other night (on of the greatest websites ever to exist), and I saw a post comparing Robin Thicke's song Blurred Lines to that of rape, and it got me thinking. To see the post click here.

Blurred lines is something that a lot of people talk about but some don't quite understand.They are things that one does when they mean somethings else, like no actually meaning yes by nonverbal actions

One the topic of consensual sex, blurred lines do not exist. 
No does not mean yes. 

So the issue here is if that was what Robin was really getting at; rape. 

I personally don't believe he ment any harm from the song, but you have to look at it in the manor that others are. This could possibly be taken as him saying that rape is okay. 


"Good girl" 
This is my first issue with the song. Good girl is something I tell my dog, or a little kid who just tied their shoes. I am not a dog. I am not a small kid who has succeded in doing something for the first time . I am human, and I am a woman. I personally feel like calling a woman a good girl is degrading. You have just compared a grown woman to your pet in a way, and that doesn't sit well with a lot of girls. Granted he could also mean like good girl in the way that she doesn't get in trouble or does whats she's told, it's still slightly degrading. 

"I know you want it"
Okay this one is probably a bit more clear as to why it's unsettling. In a lot of shows like Law And OrderCriminal Minds, and NCIS, rapist use this to say that what they did wasn't rape because she wanted it some way some how and now shes pulling the boy who cried wolf by saying he raped her. 

"I hate these blurred lines"
Here, it's pretty obvious. He notes the fact that he is confused about whether she wants it or not, but hes gonna keep trying to pressure her into it.

The last thing that really bothers is really just a word that is repeated throughout the song. The "b word" is used by him and T.I. in the song a couple of times and I don't really like it. I don't think that that word is looked at as a positive thing so when  a man says it to a woman it bothers me. I see it as disrespectful and degrading. I don't think a woman should ever be called out her name so crudely. 


Now personally I love the song, but there are some things that just don't sit well with me. 
But I think that some people may be taking it too far. I also think that if you're gonna stand up for rape on theses line of this song you should also point out that not just women get raped, men can too, and this is where the blurred lines become even more blurred 

I watched this spoken word video on you tube about two men who got raped because of these blurred lines... 

I don't think it's fair that men don't get to have a voice in their own cases of rape, and that's exactly what they talk about. About how after they are just expected to be a man about it. I don't see how as a nation, we can sit here and empower women to say no and we constantly have to fight for our rights when we can't teach men, who practically have every right they could ever want, to have a voice; to say no. Yes, I'm pretty sure women get raped more often then men, but at the end of the day men get raped too. It happens and I think its something that we should talk more about and understand more about, instead of sitting here acting like it doesn't happen. 


HE HAS JUST A RIGHT TO SAY NO AS SHE DOES.
BLURRED LINES ARE POINTLESS.


 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your post! I hate robin thicke and that song is so downgrading to women.

    ReplyDelete